Tuesday 21 December 2010

Peace, moon and markets

1. An early (early, early..) start at Waitrose leaves me feeling frosty and groggy. I breathe a huge sigh of relief when they open the shop at 8am and just one or two men trickle through the door- very different to the usual surge, and I am glad for another hour's peace before the madness.

2. I can see the whole of Cheshire, the white-quilted fields and icy trees, from the train. I look to my right and both I and a lady next to me are momentarily transfixed by the moon hanging in the still-light sky, perfectly round and huge, with a slight yellow/red tinge.

3. Wandering Manchester's German Christmas Markets, it's good to be among the crowds of warm bodies, taking in all the exotic produce and smells and music with Tom, an old friend from home.

Another one I forgot, the most important of the day!

4. Julia, a lady I met in my first year at Manchester, appears at the end of the queue at my till, and she actually jumps up and down grinning because I'm finally in the shop when she is. Julia and I went to the conglomerated university choir together in Manchester; she was a mature student on an art course at Manchester Metropolitan and I was studying English Language and Spanish at the Uni of Manchester. We had such fun and when we found out that we live in neighbouring towns we became good friends and have kept in touch, through choir, and postcards from Madrid after that. Even though she's in her 50s she's one of the most smiley, youthful people I know all crammed into a teeny, tiny body and I am utterly happy to see her.

No comments:

Post a Comment